Sunday, April 20, 2008

Big, slithery snakes and rockin' cats.

I try to find interesting things for the kids and I to do when Joe is working on Sunday afternoons at the bike shop. Today, we went to the Kansas City Pet Expo. Ironically, there are no PETS allowed at the PET Expo, so Katy stayed home. We saw this:


The snake looks big, doesn't it? The picture does NOT do this thing justice. It's HUGE. I knew I was safe but I was seriously wigged out by looking at it so closely. The presenter dude, David Nieves, is one of Dylan's heroes. He works with reptiles, writes books and does shows everywhere. We got his autograph and took a picture with him. If I can figure out how to get the picture out of my phone, I'm posting it.

We also saw the Acro-cats. I'm just not sure cats can really be "trained." The Acro-cats are kind of cool, but you had to feel sorry for the trainers because, let's face it, cats will make you work a LOT harder than dogs will. Dogs like to please. Dogs forget that there is a treat in your hand. Cats could give, well, a rat's ass (no pun intended) what you want - they just want that treat. Half the time, the cats would not do what the trainers wanted, and the trainers literally had to drag the treats along to get the cat to perform. They could get away with this poor performance because the trainers would just shrug their shoulders, hug the cats and smile. And this is like, apparently, the PREMIER cat performance act in the midwest. IN THE MIDWEST! We all felt a little embarrassed for the trainers, so we clapped. Which probably just perpetuates the whole wicked cycle. The highlight of the Acro-cats was the Rock-cats (what a pun-filled day!). Here is a fantastic video of the Rock-cats. I am sure you will enjoy the song.



Yes, I know. They don't really rock. But "Electric Avenue" still rocks big time! All I can think is that if these were dogs, they would actually be playing music, singing, and possibly destroying a guitar a la Pete Townshend. But because they're cats, and they could really care less about what they are being asked to do, they can get away with minimal music skills. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Karen said...

This makes me even more secure with my decision to be a dog person and not a cat person (or a reptile person).