Friday, October 3, 2008

Dead Ant, Dead Ant, Dead Ant

We chose "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" for our Friday night movie. If you remember correctly, Rick Moranis' crazy shrinking invention accidentally shrunk his kids and his neighbor's kids. During this movie, the children adopt an ant. The ant, like a loyal dog, defends the shrunken children when they are being attacked by a scorpion and dies in battle. Dylan was just devastated at the thought of this brave bug dying. In between sobs, he said, "It's just so hard seeing a bug die."

The therapist in me did not want to ignore or turn away from Dylan's unique grieving process, yet it's really hard to comfort a child grieving over an animatronic ant with a straight face. But I did it, and no one will ever be able to say I'm not a good actress EVER again.

I haven't posted in awhile. I spent the last month studying for the National MFT Licensure exam. I took the test on Monday and have absolutely no idea if I did well or not. If I don't pass, you can bet I'll be crying harder than Dylan did over that ant.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

You did fantastic. xoxo I just know it.

The poor ant. I would cry for him too if I didn't HATE BUGS.