Friday, May 30, 2008

Such great heights.

Dylan fell off the ladder for the high diving board today. It was scary, we called 911, went in the ambulance, the whole shebang. He is FINE - he will be sore and have a headache tomorrow, but it was still scary. Some highlights for you:

* He asked the EMT to tell him all about Tasers while strapped to the backboard.

* On the drive to the hospital, he and the EMT spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to spell "consciousness." If Dylan, strapped to the board with a possible head injury, had figured it out before the EMT, I would have been frightened.

* Our ambulance got honked at by someone who was irritated that we cut in front of them. WHO DOES THAT??? Our EMT simply remarked, "People are stupid." Sadly, I agree.

* The ER doctor who initially examined him said, "He must have a really hard head." I said, "You have no idea."

* Dylan told the nurse when she asked him if she could cut off his hospital wrist band, "No, I'd rather just rip it off." 2 hours later, he ripped that sucker right off.

* Dylan was very careful to point out which injuries came from his diving board fall and which injuries came from a run-in with the tree in our front yard.

* Dylan wanted to make SURE that he got to choose the movie for movie night. He chose "Transformers." MMMM, I needed some Shia tonight!

* We got to witness true positive sibling attachment tonight. When we got home and we were eating our pizza, Lauren said, "Dylan, maybe you should get up on the couch." He said, "Why?" She replied, "Because you were at the hospital."

* He was mad at me that I didn't remember to bring his shirt and shoes with us in the ambulance. Sorry honey, I thought your brain was going to swell and make you a vegetable, so making sure you had your clothing with you was not a priority!!!

* Advice: Make sure you always carry your wallet with you, no matter how short the trip. I do not recommend going in an ambulance or to the hospital without a wallet. Forget the clean underpants, bring the wallet. Thankfully Joe met us at the hospital so I ended up getting what we needed.

Let me repeat... forget the underpants, bring the wallet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just going to say this-- scary shit!!! Sorry to ruin the family-friendly nature of your space here. But that is scary shit!

Kristin Merten Photography said...

Oh honey!!!! XOXOXOXO So glad everyone is ok please kiss that little munchkin for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen said...

Oh no! I'm so glad he's okay. What a bright little boy you have! And I love the Iron & Wine (Garden State) references. Love you!

Stacey said...

Sooooo glad he's OK and love your description of it all - I'm sure you're more traumatized than him. Poor Kara!

Cyndy said...

Poor little man and his mommy! I hope you are both doing OK and this weekend has provided some quality rest and recovery!
Hugs to you all!

Anonymous said...

That's one tough kid, Ambulance rides are a rite of passage for boys. Better keep that wallet handy. :)