Sunday, December 9, 2007

He blinded them with science.

S C I E N C E !!!
Last week, it was Dylan's turn to be the "Traveling Scientist" for his class. Each week a different kid is chosen to demonstrate an experiment of their choice. While perusing the experiment books, I asked him to choose something that was "easy, not messy and can be done in two minutes." Some of the experiments involved growing something. I figured if he was dead set on growing something, I'd just cut a piece of our biohazard-level carpeting (it hasn't been cleaned in months because frankly, it's a waste of time and money when the clean carpet is trashed again in a week) and let him take that to school.

Thankfully, he decided to do an experiment called Chromotography. This involves mixing red and blue food coloring to make purple, squirting it on to a paper towel, and then squirting water on the mixture. The red and blue mixture separates when the water hits it. He was quite proud of his performance. His teacher shared the pictures with me, so I thought I'd share some with you.


Dylan reported that his class thought the experiment was "great." Now being that "great" is Dylan's standard response to all evaluation-type questions, I'm not sure exactly what "great" means. It could mean that the class gave him a standing ovation and carried him around on their shoulders singing "We are the Champions," or it could mean that they simply sat there and listened.

Either way, I'm sure it went great.

No comments: